Anjuman is pleased to announce that the new extension block of AITM, which has been completed, has been named S.M. Yahya P.G. Block as per decision taken by Anjuman Executive Committee for his unforgettable contribution for the development and growth of Anjuman and its institutions. Finally the long felt need of remembering his services to Anjuman has been partly fulfilled by naming the engineering institutes post graduation section’s new block in his memory as ‘S.M. Yahya Memorial Block’ .
Late Janab S.M. Yahya, who served the community as a honest, sincere and committed leader had also been Cabinet Minister in various capacity heading Finance, Labour, Higher Education, Wakf and Excise portfolio at different times in Government of Karnataka. He also served Anjuman as General Secretary and as President.
His major contribution to Anjuman was as follows:
- Instrumental in starting PU and Degree Colleges in Anjuman.
- Allotment of the 50 acres Anjumanabad land where all the Anjuman Pre-University, degree and professional colleges for men are situated.
- Obtaining necessary Sanction for starting Anjuman Institute of Technology and Management and developing the engineering institute into reputed and fully grown engineering institute in a semi urban town like Bhatkal against many odds.
- Many of Anjuman educational institutions were able to become Karnataka Government Aided Institutions due to his efforts thus reducing financial burden of Anjuman of a large portion of salary payments.
The AITM new extension block completed recently has been built to cater the built up space needs of AITM as required by Visvesvaraya Technological University and All India Council of Technical Education to which AITM is affiliated for it’s growing activity. AITM needed the additional space for class rooms, laboratory and seminar rooms for it’s recently increased intake of seats of undergraduate courses, and introduction of new postgraduate, research and doctorate courses in engineering.
The AITM Extension Block has following special features:
- It has islamic Architecture in keeping with Anjuman’s minority status.
- It has a recently developed self supporting steel coated rust proof sheet roofing which it is hoped will minimise the roof leakage problem in flat and sloping RCC roofs experienced in Coastal region of heavy monsoon areas.
- The panoramic valley sights can be viewed from its central corridors.
- The class rooms have well ventilated windows on one side and open corridor on other side for better ventilation and sunlight.
The project has been completed well in time and not much beyond estimated budget in spite of many bottle necks and recent shortage and cost escalation in construction materials common in Bhatkal. The Block is going to be inaugurated shortly. However due to immediate need the class rooms are being used already.